Welcome to UKGDL
Warwickshire Occupational and Quarter Session Records, 1662-1888
Ireland Newspapers, 1763-1890
London's Electoral Registers, 1847-1965
Victoria Cross Medals 1857-2007
British Newspaper Archive from Genes Reunited.co.uk
UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849
UK, Licences of Parole for Female Convicts, 1853-1871, 1883-1887
Chelsea Pensioners 1760-1913
British Army WWI Medal
Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
Military Records 1656 - 1994
Migration Records 1793 - 1960
British Phone Books 1880-1984
British Army WW1 Records
British Army WWI
Pension Records 1914-1920
British Army WWI
Service Records, 1914-1920
25% off any Genes Reunited subscription until the end of November. Use the promotional code of AUTUMN25 on the payment page.
Find My Past have published Irish Petty Sessions Court Registers for 1828-1912
Ancestry.co.uk's Outward Passenger List is now online, covering 1890-1960.
Genealogy and Family History are usually mentioned in the same breath as being the same hobby, but really they are two halves which go together to make a whole.
Building your family tree by collecting the raw events data such as birth, marriage and death dates is the genealogy side of the hobby. Finding out about the people, who they were, where they lived and what they did is the Family History side.
UKBMD has evolved over the years to act as an aid to help you find on-line data to build your genealogical trees, but its strength is in raw genealogical data rather than your family history.
So, UKBMD has this companion web site: UKGDL
UKGDL aims to help you find out the history of your family by linking to web sites that have on-line data which will help you discover what your families did and how they lived.
School lists, trade directories, electoral rolls, passenger lists, old photographs etc., are all valuable sources of information which can help you complete your family tree – many are now listed under UKGDL's menus.
What's on this site ?From the menu buttons on the left you can access:
- Miscellany - To list all the web sites with information related to genealogical research which is not specific to individuals, e.g. date calculators, old occupations, coinage, old medical terms etc.
- Category - To list all the web sites for a particular category, e.g. School or Educational Records, Trade Directories, Tithes etc.
- County - To list all the known GDL web sites for a particular county (or country), use this option, remembering to first select a county from the drop-down list. Note: the counties refer to the pre-1974 UK counties. For information about the county boundary changes see the Local Government Changes page within GENUKI.
- Occupations - Occupations Keyword Search. The Category and County pages provide an easy and effective means of finding links specific to many major topics of Family History, but they really cannot do justice to the vast range of occupations that are covered. So, the Occupations page allows you to fine-tune your searches by selecting one or more occupations from a vast list.
- British Abroad - Many people who considered themselves to be British have life events recorded abroad. The links on this page will help you find these sites.
- Events - A list of Family History Fairs and Events where UKBMD & UKGDL will be represented.
- FAQ - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- Contact - information about how to contact us and provide feedback - especially if you can provide information about sites not listed here.
- About Us - brief history about who we are and how we came to be here.
- Register - subscribe to the UKBMD/UKGDL Mailing list for BMD and GDL update announcements.